Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Musically played out.

I have come to the discovery that I'm about finished with the music game genre (at least music games with peripherals). I was an ok player but I think that it has already peaked. With Guitar Hero games popping up everywhere and Rock Band not really adding anything new in its recent release, what all is left? In 2009, there will be other competitors for the opportunity to be king in the music genre. One example is a Beatles based game. As this year has shown us with Konami's Rock Revolution, nothing can really compete with Activision's and Harmonix's guitar product. Maybe it's the whole band aspect that I'm tired with. I would never own these games myself because they are more multiplayer-laden than single player. In addition, you can only attempt to be a rocker so many times before it gets boring. Another music game released was Wii music. This game doesn't suit me at all. In this game you can't fail, meaning that more often than not you will hear groups of people play together and the midi style format is hard to listen when a lot of wrong notes are being played at once. I do not expect peripheral-based music games to keep selling a lot. Not only do new retail versions mean nothing with constant DLC coming for the old versions, but at some point people will run out of space in the homes for the plastic stuff. I think once every major company releases their own peripheral compatible or peripheral based music game (Disney is one of the companies that will release their own version of Guitar Hero in 2009), the games will stop coming because too many games like these are on the market and people are only willing to play these games so much before they've hit the wall. As I said earlier, I'm about done with peripheral-based music games. I will continue to play them but don't be surprised if, all of a sudden, you see very little peripheral-based music games in 2010 or 2011.

No comments:

Folding at Home Stats

>
>