Sunday, July 20, 2008

Nintendo's E3 press conference: my impressions



Oh boy! Where should I start? From Shawn White trying to promote his game to the orchestrated play of a long Wii music demo at the very end, the conference, in my humble opinion, was really, really disappointing. Essentially what was done was a bunch of interactive demos done by the Nintendo team. True there was information given. For example, they kept saying that they are constantly the top-selling system during a specific time period. It's nice to hear a couple times but you don't need to shove it down our throats. And there were some games released as well; however these didn't really appeal to me. Some were Wii Sports Resort, Animal Crossing: City Folk, and Wii Music. While a Wii Sports sequel was needed, this wasn't what I had in mind. It's more like a beach game. There was another feature introduced for the Wiimote titled Wii MotionPlus. This sounds good in theory but I'm not sure how this will work in play. In addition Wii Music was announced. Unlike Guitar Hero or Rock Band, in Wii Music, you can be totally wrong in a song and it doesn't count against you. And the instruments you play (which are at least 50) sound so bad musically. (I've heard that the sound is compared to midi music). For some reason, you can never go off-key. Someone will play the game and like it. However I do think that if a person owns the Wii versions of Guitar Hero or Rock Band, chances are they won't get this game. Now, as an avid gamer, I totally see that the Wii is not for me as evidenced by the current crop of games that are already out on the system. However I also realized that I am not the target demographic. It's more family-based, and more for the people who enjoy games that are easy to play. The hardcore gamer may like it, but not all hardcore gamers do. I like playing these games every now and then, but I won't get them to play daily. All negative stuff aside, it sounds like the Wii (and DS for that matter) won't be slowing down anytime soon (just ask them about Wii Fit and hw it's doing). Even though the Wii's niche has been found, I wonder if, somewhere in the future, the Wii can be compared in the same sense as its current generation counterparts PS3 and 360. Only time will tell.

No comments:

Folding at Home Stats

>
>