Thursday, December 29, 2005

Megaman: Super Fighting Robot





The title of the blog are the words to the Megaman series on the USA Network back in 1994 but I digress. Megaman, despite what some video game purists think, is one of the best characters in video game history. He and Mario, along with other top game characters, are neck and neck when it comes to games. I like the regular Megaman for NES and SNES (1-6 and 7-8 respectively) but the series I truly adore is the X series. True it's been in existence since 1994 and the current games may be labeled as too difficult (Megaman X7 and X8) but I love the challenge and I love the difficulty. In X7, Capcom experimented splitting the levels between the classic 2D sidescroller and 3D. I loved the idea and I wish they would keep that thought. Some games like Megaman Legends 1 and 2, and the more current game Megaman X Command Mission introduce the style of RPG into the game. I beat all three mentioned here and I loved playing them. More recently, on the Game Boy Advance, they made MegamanZero. This is interesting because it lets you play as Zero completely while looking like a hybrid of the two heroes. I've played it briefly and I found it ok. The worst games for Megaman are the Battle Network and Network Tranmissions series. It turned our favorite blue bomber into a mediocre card based game that's similar to pokemon or digimon and we all hate pokemon, don't we? The show on the WB network is even worse because they made it into a digimon format and Megaman sounds like a girl and is trapped inside a machine until needed. No one likes this (I know I don't) and this is a sorry excuse for blue bomber's talent. Make a movie out of the classic version or syndicate the old series again (I say again because it was on for a while on fox family before it became abc family) There are numerous games I have not mentioned in the Megaman genre not because I don't want to, but because I haven't played them all. That said Capcom has listened to Megaman lovers everywhere and has released Megaman Anniversary Collection. In my opinion, it is one of the best compilation games of all time. In January, Megaman X Collection will be released highlighting the first six X games along with Megaman Battle and Chase. Megaman X3 is still my favorite after all these years and for the first time Zero is fully playable. In my opinion they should include X7 and X8 along with Megaman Soccer, but the two former came out recently and it is probably too early for its remixed soundtracks and whatever they include in the collections. For the PSP, Maverick Hunter X will be an updated version of Megaman X1 for Super Nintendo with all new stuff in the game. For now, Megaman is the one of the top characters in the gaming world. He should be thought of that way.

No comments:

Folding at Home Stats

>
>