

One of the many launch titles for the PS3 was a new Sonic game. To distinguish this from the same title in the early 90's, some put 2006 after this title because that was when it came out. The previous iterations in the Sonic series have been panned; unfortunately this one is no different. Believe me, when I first saw this game, I was truly hoping that this game would be a turning point in a series of bad games overall for Sonic. I liked Shadow the Hedgehog; others didn't. But on to this review. This game has the same Sonic characters than in previous games. There is one other additional character: Silver the Hedgehog. The color of this hedgehog is silver of course. Anyone who's played any Sonic game in the past knows the story: Dr. Robotnik (I refuse to use eggman) steals Chaos Emeralds and Sonic and friends must find the emeralds to stop him. Ok fine. Now for the gameplay. Well, you have an overworld that you can free roam in as Sonic or the other characters. This aspect of the game I didn't have a problem with. It's the transition from free roam that's the killer. There are loading screens. Normally these screens are ok. However, these screens pop up some frequently and they last so long (about 2-3 minutes each time). It seems like the game can't find a rhythm. Once one is almost established, a loading screen pops up. Another issue that crops up a lot is the camera that follows you. It can't seem to stay with you all the time which can be frustrating. I rented this game and after a couple hours I quit. The pacing is too slow and the game can be difficult if you know not what to do. Plus the constant loading screens were enough to suck the fun out of the game. If you want to try this game, go ahead. Maybe you can get away from the troubles this game has and maybe you can enjoy it; I sure didn't.
No comments:
Post a Comment