Saturday, August 09, 2008
Xbox 360 avatars: sound familiar?
At E3 last month, it was announced that the Xbox 360 would change their interface. Following that was the announcement of 360 avatars. They are little character representations of you. Well, anyone who is in the gaming community knows what (and who) Microsoft ripped off. It is a ripoff of the Nintendo Wii's Miis. Miis are little representations of you in the Nintendo. Sony has something similar with their fictional figures. However, currently those representations are in the Home universe and are only seen in videos. My initial reaction was why? What was the point to the avatar creations? However, after awhile, I was thinking " Hey, Microsoft what took you so long? Join the party." There is actually some reason to the instant turnaround in my reaction. The more I thought the more it made sense. Nintendo has their Mii thing (although it isn't being used that much at all), Sony has their fictional figures, so I think Microsoft was afraid of falling behind. Sony has Home and Nintendo has. . . um, what exactly does Nintendo plan to use theirs for? Microsoft plans to use the avatars to the fullest extent. Since Microsoft has a deal with NBC, they plan to have a 1vs100 type game with the avatars. The idea looks promising and I would welcome it because it would be a good place to show off the numerous different looking avatars in one environment. I just hope, regardless of what Microsoft must do, since you have this avatar thing, try to find some way to find more uses for it. Obviously, Nintendo can't and that's a shame because Nintendo started potentially what they can't finish. Next up: Sony. Sony, you are the only one left in the unreleased fictional figure market. Once Sony releases Home, the plsying field for fictional looking characters will be level. Until then, Sony is behind in that department. Whether or not you care about avatars is your choice. Some may care, some may not. I'm fine with that.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment